Goal: To improve the assessment practices I engage in within my classroom when designing larger projects/unit studies
Specific Objectives to Track Progress
· Design assessment in a way that allows for adaptation—for example well written rubrics can be effectively applied to a diverse array final products. I will explore a few units which are shared in the IO community to find examples of such rubrics.
· Design assessment as an ongoing element in class work. This means I will have already thought/designed an assessment strategy before unit/project/assignment design is finished and implement it as the project develops. I will ensure that there is a space for myself, students, and their peers to engage in multiple feedback loops.
· When creating/modifying these larger projects, design with the end in mind. I will find exemplars from experts in the field to provide students with in order to clearly define expectations and raise the bar for their own work.
· Define the key learnings (perhaps by designing a rough rubric) as a first step. Over the summer, I will define these for the first two units in the Physics 20 and Science 10 curriculum.
Goal: To continue improving my inquiry design skills
Specific Objectives to Track Progress
· I need to become more self confident in the design of these projects. This means, I need to concentrate less on covering the curriculum, and more on presenting students with the essential elements for understanding (which in the end WILL address entire chunks of the curriculum IF designed carefully). I will achieve this by finding a few (to start with!) authentic examples of where the work they conduct in the classroom connects to the real world.
· I will improve my abilities with practice, and by providing myself (just as I would with my students) of exemplars to strive towards. I will keep a clear picture of what authentic, intentional and directed inquiry looks like by consulting exemplars in IO.
· After exploring current work scientists are completing in the field, and after consulting my “text-book” (projects published in the IO community) I will lay out a rough design/modify an existing IO project for ONE inquiry unit study in Physics 20 over the summer.
Goal: To focus on individual learning needs in order to improve my ability to differentiate lessons and assignments.
Specific Objectives to Track Progress
· I need to be aware of the tools and supports available to me that can help me support the diverse group of students I will meet next fall. I will explore my school’s resources as well as policies and procedures regarding accommodation of students.
· By becoming familiar with many teaching strategies and the learning supports which are commonly used in schools, I will improve my own ability to recognize and address individual needs. I will also look into the publications from Alberta Ed, which were recommended by Evelyn Hickey over the summer.
· In the one rough unit plan that I will create, I will initially include at least 3 different ways students can “show what they know”. This list will no doubt grow when I actually introduce students to unit study, but will be a good start and help me begin to hone my abilities to support multiple paths of learning.
Goal: To remain healthy and enthusiastic during my first year of teaching
Specific Objectives to Track Progress
· I will strive to foster healthy and supportive relationships with other members of staff and administration at school. I will take advantage of the mentorship program in place, and find an individual I feel comfortable to approach to ask for support or assistance.
· I will do at least one thing each day for myself. On busy days, this could simply be a few minutes of quiet time.
· I will keep in touch with the positive supportive peers I met in this program. Having these people around me will help ensure I keep a positive outlook in stressful situations. They will also be a huge source of support and understanding when I am struggling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment