Friday, April 16, 2010

Independent Inquiry Self-Assessment

When I began this inquiry, I had the impression that I would complete a finished product which would provide me with strategies to accommodate gifted and talented learners. I do feel that I achieved this learning goal; however after the conclusion of this inquiry, I have gained much more than just these strategies. Throughout the semester, I have collected articles, books, journals, and have spoken to professionals about who gifted and talented students are, and what they need. The weekly SIPS seminar also directed my inquiry by providing valuable insights and resources. Through this process, I did not solely study gifted and talented learners, but I also gained valuable insight into learning in general.

Through writing this paper, my own understanding of what personalized learning entails has greatly increased. I now have a better understanding and appreciation for the once very confusing concept of differentiation. I have come to realize that it is much more important to teach in responsive way to the individual rather than concentrating on the label of gifted.
I have also begun to understand the importance of authenticity in my own design. I need to create authentic projects, which encourage and allow a space for student voice. The role of technology becomes one which is inextricably linked to other disciplines when these authentic tasks are carried out. An example I expressed in my paper included the use of Skype to help direct inquiry in a classroom, to provide students with the input of professionals from around the world.

In addition, I also clearly defined the phenomenon of gifted and talented learners by consulting various resources and experts at the University and also in the field. Through the semester, I added new understandings to each draft of inquiry as I explored new resources. I critically evaluated important issues surrounding my chosen phenomenon by exploring current practices being used in the field of gifted and talented education. I also critiqued these practices, by evaluating how they supported common struggles gifted and talented learners face. I have already begun utilizing the insight and information I collected throughout my inquiry this semester to help me better support learners as I tutor them. I can already see where these new understandings can help me in my teaching practice.

I enjoyed writing this inquiry, because it is a topic which interests me and I feel is important. I know I will utilize the things I learned from this inquiry to improve my practice in the classroom—and therefore the inquiry was authentic for me as a learner. Concluding this semester, and this inquiry, I have learned extremely valuable things and grown because of them. I realize that any assignment I ask my students to complete must also be important, interesting and authentic to them, (just as this individual inquiry was to me) because these things are what truly define what meaningful learning is to ANY student.

No comments:

Post a Comment