Friday, January 15, 2010

Beginning my inquiry into technology...



image taken from: http://www.warwwestss.eq.edu.au/Webquests/Journalist_files/comic.bmp


Can I just say, I feel pretty good about technology right now, this blog came together quite easily!

This first assignment requires us to reflect on our strengths and needs with regard to inquiry and ICT. I have utilized technology in a junior high classroom, and the students positive responses are what have inspired me to learn more.
I am also beginning to appreciate (like the above illustration implies) the exponential rate of change in the world, and the effect this has, and will have on youth. This complex, changing world is what I will be preparing students for, so I myself must embrace the change! I am eager and excited to learn more about what/where/when and how to implement technology successfully in my classroom. I want to know how to incorporate new resources into the classroom which will in turn help students become active, critical thinkers who are involved in meaningful learning activities. (i.e. I want them to remember and use the stuff they learn!)

I have had some exposure to SMART technology; notebook, SMARTideas, senteo clickers.

I have become familiar with the D2L (Desire to learn) webased platform

I have also utilized web resources such as BrainPop, PHET, edquest, jeopardylabs, and TedTalks in my lessons this past semester (thanks to a lot of help from my partner teacher!)

I am also very interested in deciphering circumstances where technology can become a distraction rather than a tool to enhance learning-- and how to avoid these situations.
Good luck to all of us this semester, I think it will be exciting, interesting and informative!







1 comment:

  1. Great cartoon - good work incorporating this into your first blog on technology! I have found that technology becomes a distraction when the task or project we ask students to do is weak or surface work -- when the task is challenging, meaningful and tied strongly to the discipline, AND teachers support learning through strong instructional and assessment practices, then students engage deeply and in appropriate ways with the task and technology.

    ReplyDelete